ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING INTERN
Township of Terrace Bay
(Temporary Full-time: 52 weeks)
The Township of Terrace Bay is seeking a creative and passionate individual to join our team as an Economic Development and Marketing Intern, to assist the Special Projects Coordinator with creating and implementing economic development and marketing initiatives—helping establish and grow Terrace Bay’s budding tourism industry and brand.
Terrace Bay is a small, rural community in Northwestern Ontario, located on the north shore Lake Superior, along the Trans-Canada Highway (Ontario Highway 17)—home to the Aguasabon Falls & Gorge; Slate Islands Provincial Park; Terrace Bay Beach Pavilion and Boardwalk. Terrace Bay is also part of the Lake Superior Circle Tour; and the Eastern Gateway to Parks Canada’s Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area.
If you are passionate about the outdoors, love the water and want to contribute to the rural north then this is an opportunity for you—begin your career in economic development, marketing, and municipal government today!
The Economic Development & Marketing Intern will provide support to the Special Projects Coordinator. It includes but is not limited to working towards updating and maintaining the Township’s community profile, website and social media; assist with projects that meet the Township’s strategic planning processes; assist with the research, proposal and implementation of economic development and marketing initiatives; build relationships/network with local businesses and local/regional entrepreneurship centres to advise and promote potential opportunities within the municipality; assist with the creation and implementation of marketing and brand strategies, as well as support in content creation; provide support for municipal special events; write municipal notices, newsletters, letters of support and press releases; support special project initiatives as needed; perform such other related duties as may be required and attend regional meetings, conferences, networking meetings, events etc.
- Must be a graduate of a post-secondary degree or diploma program
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research skills, highly detail-oriented and analytical
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must be proficient in the use of computers and current related software and digital media platforms (Word, Excel, etc.) - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Must have a valid Class G driver’s licence
- Must be able to attend evening and weekend meetings, events, etc.
- Must be a new entrant into the workforce, are transitioning to a new career, or the unemployed or underemployed who are entering a new field.
- Must have not previously participated in an NOHFC funded internship in the 2020 Mandate.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Once hired, the candidate must reside in Terrace Bay, ON
- A degree/diploma in business administration, planning, economic development, public administration, commerce, marketing, tourism/hospitality, or a related program
- Previous experience and/or knowledge in tourism and/or economic development
- Previous experience and/or knowledge in social media best practices, content creation and/or are simply just a creative individual
- Previous experience and/or knowledge in working with graphic design software
- Previous experience in municipal government
Interested applicants are invited to apply with their qualifications and experience outlined to email@example.com; all applications must be submitted and addressed to:
Township of Terrace Bay
1 Selkirk Avenue
P.O. Box 40
Terrace Bay, ON P0T 2W0
We thank all applicants who apply for this position, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Township of Terrace Bay (the “Township”) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process, upon request. Please advise the Township if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, Chapter 25, as amended, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
This opportunity is proudly supported by Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation and is funded through the Workforce Development Program. Eligibility requirements of the program can be found here: https://nohfc.ca/en/pages/programs/people-talent-program/workforce-development-stream