Terrace Bay Off-Road Vehicle Bylaw InformationGovernment Documents & Forms By-Laws and Policies Terrace Bay Off-Road Vehicle Bylaw Information
In response to the Province amending the Highway Traffic Act, the Township of Terrace Bay first passed a by-law governing the use of Off-Road Vehicles (ORV) on Township streets in 2010, Bylaw 38-2010. That by-law was rescinded in 2015 with the passage of By-law 31-2015, Being A By-law Regulate The Use of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) On Municipal Highways. This is the current ORV by-law in Terrace Bay, with the following amendments:
- Bylaw 31-2015 was then amended to add set fines for violations by By-law 39-2016, Being a by-law to amend By-law No. 31-2015 To Regulate the Use of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) on Municipal Highways.
- Bylaw 31-2015 was again amended in 2020 to prohibit the use of ORM’s and XTV’s on municipal highways by By-law 32-2020 See below for more detail.
What are the general rules for riding?
- Where should ORVs be driven on-road?
- Along the shoulder of the roadway in the same direction of traffic.
- If the shoulder is obstructed or if there is no shoulder, ride as close to the right of the road as possible.
- When can I ride?
- Off-road vehicles shall only be operated on highways from the hours of 7:00am (0700h) to 11:00pm (2300h) on any day.
- Operation and use of off-road vehicles must be in accordance with Bylaw 369 (commonly known as the Noise Control By-law)
- How fast can I go?
- No person shall operate an off-road vehicle at a greater rate of speed than twenty kilometres per hour (20 km/h) upon any highway or service roadway or part thereof within Terrace Bay.
- Who can ride?
- Only those with a minimum G2 or M2 licence may operate an ORV on highways and municipal roads where permitted.
- Graduated Licensing System requirements apply to young and novice drivers when driving on-road.
- Children under the age of eight (8) are not permitted as passengers on an ORV that is operating on-road.
Where can I drive my ORV in Terrace Bay?
- Where can I ride?
- You CAN ride on Terrace Bay streets and roads with noted exceptions below
- You CAN ride on established trail systems
- You CAN ride on Highway 17 within the Township boundaries of Terrace Bay
- You CANNOT ride on any Private Property unless you have permission of the owner.
- You CANNOT ride on the street known as SIMCOE PLAZA
- You CANNOT ride on any SIDEWALK within the Township of Terrace Bay
- You CANNOT ride off-road motorcycles (ORM) commonly known as dirt bikes; and, extreme terrain vehicles(XTV), which are semi-amphibious vehicles with six or more wheels on any municipal highway
What are the fines for violations of Bylaw 31-2015?
|Bylaw No. 31-2015|
|A By-law Regulate The Use of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) On Municipal Highways|
|ITEM||COLUMN 1- Short Form Wording||
Provision Creating or Defining Offence
|1.||Unlawfully operate off-road vehicle that fails to meet equipment or operational requirements.||Section 4.1||$85.00|
|2.||Operate an off-road vehicle on private property without consent of the owner.||Section 4.4 (a)||$55.00|
|3.||Operate an off-road vehicle on other than established trail system.||Section 4.4 (b)||$55.00|
|4.||Operate an off-road vehicle on municipal walkways.||Section 4.4 (c)||$55.00|
|5.||Operate an off-road vehicle on Simcoe Plaza Roadway.||Section 4.4 (d)||$55.00|
|6.||Operate an off-road vehicle during prohibited hours.||Section 4.5||$55.00|
2020 Legislation Updates
Effective July 1, 2020, the province expanded the types of ORV’s that could be permitted on-road to two new additional types: off-road motorcycles (ORM) commonly known as dirt bikes; and, extreme terrain vehicles(XTV), which are semi-amphibious vehicles with six or more wheels. Additional types of ORVs can be permitted on municipal roads and provincial roadways where local municipalities create new or amend by-laws to enable their use. Existing ORV by-laws currently granting access will not automatically permit new types; a new by-law will need to be passed after July 1, 2020. Vehicles permitted on any municipal road where a by-law is created to enable their use will continue to be permitted.
A public meeting was held on November 18, 2021 to gather feedback on allowing or disallowing these new additional types of ORV’s
Please click on the links below for more information on this legislative change.
At the regular meeting held on December 7, 2021 Council passed a By-law 32-2020 which, amends By-law 31-2015 to prohibit the use of ORV’s and XTV’s on municipal highways.
Can I ride ORM’s and XTV vehicles on the streets right now?
NO, these two new additional types are NOT currently legal to be operated on any highway or municipal road within the Township of Terrace Bay.
For more information on the Off-Road Vehicles Bylaw please contact the Clerk’s Office at ext. 7108 or via email
Quad Bike icon by Icons8 UTV icon by Icons8